Facilitating 90 odd Students
Facilitation tool-AI used for Vision Setting-2015
It was conducted at Saffron Suite Mumbai - on 15th and 16th May
No of participants- Group Heads From all Branches-20 NO.
Workshop Objective-Vision for Change
Introducing Appreciative Inquiry
A Facilitative tool called Appreciative Inquiry was used
- Appreciative Inquiry focuses on possibilities, not problems. That sounds easy but it requires an important shift from our usual, problem-centered approach to bringing about change. Appreciative Inquiry helps us discover what works, so that we can do more of it. It is inquiry based on positive questions. and the Trainer /Facilitator (Mrs. Vasundhara Jakka) involved herself actively in questions. Stories started to develop; patterns began to emerge. Individuals recalled and tapped into positive achievements and stories that strengthened and inspired. The process, which is more fully described below, this is not "ignore problems" - it just approached them from the other side. The other side being what IS working rather than what is NOT working. AI builds on several assumptions, including: 1. In every organization something works. 2. What we focus on becomes our reality. 3. The act of asking questions of an organization or group influences the group in some way or the other. 4. What we found was what we (organization) want already exists in ourselves, our firms, our organizations.
Changing the Way You Think
- Shifting from "What's Wrong?" to "What's Right"?
- It's Not Eliminating Mistakes, It's Holding Up Successes
- Positive Language Will Affect Peoples Thinking
Four D model
- Discovery - Of Challenges or issues
- Dream-Of what can be done or is desirable
- Design-how can it be done
- Delivery - way ahead
The Four I Model
Defining the problem areas-
For Defining Problems, Challenges and issues a Facilitative tool called "World Café" was used and it showed how effectively participants can be involved in voicing out the challenges, This tool takes care of those participants who are otherwise unwilling to involve themselves.
Following Topics were introduced for brainstorming and presented by groups which were essentially a mix of departments.
Appreciative Inquiry Interview Style
- Framing Positive Questions
- Following questions were asked to all participants
1) What made you feel excited about joining XYZ Ind?
2) Share the moment when you felt proud about your achievements...
- Solicit Positive Stories- Participants came out with positive, inspiring stories which were not told so far and gave participant a moment of pride. The whole atmosphere filled with encouragement and joy, all participants had appreciation for their collogues.
- Personal stories and the patterns were observed by Admin head and strength areas were discovered
- Recognized so many unknown strengths, which were hidden so far
Influencing Change Through AI
It was evident that participants were charged and geared up to take XYZ Ind. on new heights.
Because the tool
- Uses Strengths to Solve Challenges
- Confidence Will Promote Positive Change
- Inquiry is a Seed of Change
- People Will Gravitate Towards What is Expected of Them
Every time I use a new Facilitation tool I am anxious but every time it ensures results and what else can make a facilitator happier?